Whenever you share big news with friends and family there’s always plenty of advice to follow This includes the announcement that you’re buying a house. While everyone has good intentions in sharing their advice, not all words of wisdom carry the same amount of weight. Listed below are some key pieces of home buying advice which has stood up to the test of time in helping home buyers get through the process with positive results.
Get the most out of your home searching by doing the following:
· Create your own home wish list before you begin, List by must-haves, nice-to-haves and take-it-or-leave it features.
· Start with online searches to find potential properties to then view in person before you make any kind of decision.
· Leave the kids at home for any initial viewing, so you can focus on the listing and not worry about tired and cranky young ones.
Keep your overall financial budget in mind:
· Avoid being house rich and cash poor. You may qualify for a loan to get that big house on the hill, but can you afford the upkeep?
· Keep in mind all costs which need to be covered including utilities, taxes, any HOA fees of applicable, regular maintenance for appliances as well as your yard and garden.
Learn the neighborhood before you choose a home:
· Avoid negative surprises like too much traffic at rush hour or dogs barking all day long by taking some time to discover the finer points about a neighborhood. Visit at various times of the day and week, take a walk around and ask current residents what they like or don’t like.
· Take note of community resources and find out if there are major development plans in the works, these could impact future property values.
There’s more to negotiation than dollars on the line.
· Work with your Realtor® to asses a seller’s motivations and how they may help you in the negotiation process. Someone aiming to sell fast may be willing to take a lower offer with a higher earnest deposit.
· Contingencies are there to help you feel confident in buying a home, including as much detail as you can in what ever your contingencies may be.
Find more words of wisdom around these key home buyer tips with this article by Realtor.com, When it’s time to buy or sell a home, choose a Realtor® who’s ready to work for you and what you want for all your real estate needs. The Driscoll Properties Team is ready to help you every step of the way. Learn more at our website, DriscollProperty.com, then contact the Driscoll Properties Team at 847-533-6786 to help you discover the home of your dreams.